Import Points Dialog
Use the Import Points Dialog to specify which attributes from the shapefile are used for the label, description, and type fields in the imported waypoints.
Each attribute from the shapefile is listed, and the value of that attribute for the first object in the shapefile is listed in parenthesis.
- Select an attribute from the shapefile to be used as a label.
- Select an attribute from the shapefile to be used as a description.
- Select an attribute from the shapefile to be used as the shape type.
- Type Prefix
- Enter a phrase which describes the categories of objects contained in the file. The type name that ExpertGPS generates for each object will consist of the Type Prefix, followed by the value of the Type attribute. In the example above, the type would be "Restaurant - Pizza".
- Select an attribute from the shapefile to be used as the waypoint elevation.
- Elevation Units
- Select Feet or Meters to match the units used in the shapefile.
The upper right and lower left bounds of the point data is displayed. ExpertGPS automatically determines whether the data is in an X,Y grid or in latitude,longitude format and displays appropriate coordinate formats below.
Select the coordinate format that was used when creating the shapefile. ExpertGPS will use the coordinate format you select as the default coordinate format.
ExpertGPS works with hundreds of GPS receivers, including all Garmin Drive, nüvi, eTrex, Colorado, Dakota, echoMAP, GPSMAP, Edge, Forerunner, Montana, Oregon, and Rino models, Magellan eXplorist, Meridian, and SporTrak GPS receivers, and Lowrance iFinder, HDS, Elite, HOOK, LCX, and LMS GPS chartplotters and fishfinders.
Find your GPS on the ExpertGPS compatibility list.