- GPS Exchange Format (GPX)
- GPX is an open, standard format for exchanging GPS data, supported by over 50 different programs. ExpertGPS saves your data in GPX format, ensuring that you will always be able to share your data with others.
- TopoGrafix Binary Format (LOC)
- Earlier versions of ExpertGPS used an undocumented binary file format. You can open your old LOC files in ExpertGPS. When you save the file, you will be asked to save in GPX format.
- Geocaching LOC Format (LOC)
- Prior to the development of the GPS Exchange standard, TopoGrafix and Geocaching.com developed an XML-based format for exchanging geocache data. ExpertGPS can open these files.
- Garmin MapSource (GPX)
- Garmin MapSource now supports GPX, the open, standard GPS Exchange format. Save your MapSource data in GPX format, and you can open it directly in ExpertGPS.
- National Geographic Topo! (TPG)
- Older versions of National Geographic Topo! could exchange waypoints with other programs in the .tpg format. ExpertGPS can import and export waypoints in this format. The .tpo format used by Topo! is not usable in any other software.
- Maptech Terrain Navigator (MXF, RFX, TXF)
- MapTech's programs (Terrain Navigator, Pocket Navigator, etc) can exchange waypoints, routes, and tracks in a text format. ExpertGPS can import and export these files.
- Tab-Delimited Waypoints (TXT)
- Spreadsheet programs like OpenOffice Calc and Microsoft Excel can exchange waypoints with ExpertGPS using this format. In addition to importing and exporting waypoint data in this format, ExpertGPS can copy and paste waypoints directly into your spreadsheet.
- Tab-Delimited Trackpoints (TXT)
- Spreadsheet programs like OpenOffice Calc and Microsoft Excel can exchange trackpoints with ExpertGPS using this format. In addition to importing and exporting trackpoints data in this format, ExpertGPS can copy and paste trackpoints directly into your spreadsheet.
- ESRI ArcView Shapefiles (SHP)
- Shapefiles are the standard format for GIS (geographical information systems) data. ExpertGPS can import and export point, polyline, and polygon shapefiles in geographic, UTM, US State Plane and other projections. Shapefile import/export requires the GIS Option Pack for ExpertGPS, sold separately.
- NMEA Log Files (NMEA)
- NMEA is the standard "over the wire" format for marine electronics. The Tracking feature in ExpertGPS provides a real-time, moving map display of your position, course, and speed. ExpertGPS can import logged NMEA data and convert it to a tracklog.
- Image Formats (PNG, JPEG, TIFF, BMP)
- For a list of the image file formats that ExpertGPS can create, see the Export Image command.
ExpertGPS works with hundreds of GPS receivers, including all Garmin Drive, nüvi, eTrex, Colorado, Dakota, echoMAP, GPSMAP, Edge, Forerunner, Montana, Oregon, and Rino models, Magellan eXplorist, Meridian, and SporTrak GPS receivers, and Lowrance iFinder, HDS, Elite, HOOK, LCX, and LMS GPS chartplotters and fishfinders.
Find your GPS on the ExpertGPS compatibility list.